Monday, March 1, 2010

It's True--Pepsi Refresh Reached March Application Quota

So, I spent all last night in a deep but confusing sleep in which I dreamed of my Pepsi Refresh grant application for what seemed like hours. I woke with a headache--and purpose. I needed to find out what was going on. But alas, what I feared last night is true: In about 20 minutes, Pepsi received more than 1,000 applications for grants. I'm in disbelief, but I also feel angry at myself. I should have known to try submitting in the first minutes--but that's not a mistake I'll make next month.

So what's the plan for the next 30 days?

I'm going to use the time to my advantage. I plan to write at least the majority of my business plan this month and use those specifics to further hone my grant application. I also saw a fantastic video made by my new friend Janet Geddis, who is opening a bookstore in Athens, Georgia late this year. She also tried applying for a Pepsi grant this month, but she had the additional frustration of her application being LOST! In any case, Janet made a really lovely video using iMovie, which has inspired me to try and do the same. (Anyone out there want to tutor me??) I'll also use this month to research other grants, which I'll be able to apply for once the business plan is done. And finally, an extra 30 days will give me even more time to build a community on this blog and on my Facebook Page--a community that will, I hope, help me get out the vote once the application is up and running.

Have any of you ever applied for grants? What have your experiences been?

No comments:

Post a Comment