Monday, June 7, 2010

Weekend in Laredo (part 1)

The heat was stunning in Laredo this weekend--that kind of fierce warmth that immediately makes clothes stick and hair go limp. It's been almost eight years (eight years?!) since I left the city for college, four hours north and at least ten degrees cooler, and what surprised me most of all was how I had forgotten what summers mean down there: Be. Near. Water. The weather was a fresh reminder that I must reacquaint myself with my city, in many ways.

It was a great few days, though. I arrived Friday night just in time to shower and change for the Cream City magazine launch party. Back in April, Analee Paz, one of the magazine's creators, contacted me to ask whether I'd like to be featured in a section called "The Profiles." She said they'd love to hear more about what this process of working toward opening a bookstore has been like. Of course, I was thrilled to agree.

The party was held downtown at Gallery 201, an art gallery I'd never heard of or been to before. Only rarely do I foray downtown, so each time I do I marvel at how it seems like an entirely different city, a foreign country: the one-way streets, the cobblestone roads and beautiful old buildings.

The gallery itself was gorgeous, and the magazine put on a great party. A projector screen displayed the cover of the magazine on one wall above a small stage, a photographer was ready at the entrance to snap red carpet-esque photos of guests, and the wine and cucumber martinis were flowing at the bar.



Of course, I couldn't wait to see a copy of the magazine, and it didn't disappoint. The photography and design layout were beautiful, and it was so interesting to read the stories of the other two individuals in "The Profiles."







I know the article is impossible to read in this photo, so I'll post a transcription later. But I'm so happy to have had the opportunity to talk more about the bookstore, to let people know that, yes, it's a work in progress, but at least it's in progress. Thanks again to Analee Paz and Fernando de Haro, publisher and photographer, for the honor of being featured in Cream's premiere issue!

So the party was Friday. And on Saturday, after months of telephone correspondence, I finally met Mary Benavides. Mary, who managed B. Dalton for about 30 years, is also working toward opening a bookstore in Laredo, and we've been trying to coordinate a meeting for months. I'm going to end this post on that teaser, because I fear it's already gotten too long, but I'll write about our meeting very soon. I hope you're all having a good Monday so far!

1 comment:

  1. I just saw your article in Cream City Magazine and was ECSTATIC to read that you are trying to open a bookstore in Laredo! Shopping for books at Target is just not the same. I am a 20 year old living in Laredo and was devastated when B.Dalton closed, so I really really reeaalllllyy hope you succeed in bringing a bookstore to Laredo! Good luck and just know that you have a lot of support! -Barnes&NobleLover

    ReplyDelete