Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Laredo Bookstore Updates . . . Overdue!


Wow. If any week has shown me what a challenge opening this bookstore will be, it's this one. Which is why, I'm sorry to say, I haven't posted since Sunday.

This week, after being on the market for a year and a half, our house finally got an offer. A full-price offer (granted, after we significantly lowered the price), at that. So, after settling quite comfortably, if guiltily, into the fact that the house may not sell for some time, my husband and I have been jarred into the reality of looking for a new place to live, packing, and moving . . . all in less than 30 days. That is, assuming the sale goes through as planned. All of this means that, in addition to Colin starting a new job this week, and my full-time work and grad school and planning for this bookstore, we've been apartment-hunting like crazy. It's a level of stress that's laughable.

In any case, selling this house (again, assuming all goes through) probably couldn't come at a better time. Because our lives are so in flux right now, we'll be renting for a while, rather than buying. That leaves us with some flexibility when it comes to bookstore plans.

And speaking of plans: Mine for this week are:

* Finish my Pepsi grant application, to be posted online for voting on March 1. Courtney Sames, who has been working with Fede Cavazos on filming a documentary about B. Dalton closing and what has come next, has offered to send me a few photos to use for my application. I can't wait to see what she's got for me!

* Email the president of Texas A&M International University in Laredo; since university students are one of my key demographics, I would love to keep him informed in hopes that he will communicate my plans to all TAMIU students. I'd love to get them reading this blog and contributing their ideas as to what they'd like to see in an independent bookstore.

* Finalize and send off magazine pitches to at least three national women's magazines. I'll let you all know which ones once the pitches have gone out.

* More research and more work on my business plan. When the plan is finished, I'll use it to apply for more grants, as well as a small business loan from local financial institutions and the Small Business Association. Once I have funding, I'll be able to give you all more details as to what I have in mind for location.

* Visit with Mary Benavides again over the phone to compare notes on our plans. I have some ideas as to how we can both achieve our goals while providing Laredo with bookstores that aren't in direct competition. Details to come!

Another update is that my sister, a senior at Texas A&M University in College Station, has the opportunity to work with an expert to develop a detailed project management plan. She's opted to work with me on developing a plan for the bookstore, which I'm SO excited about! This is something separate from the business plan, and should serve as a roadmap throughout the project. I'll be sure to keep you all posted.

Soon to come: my vision for the bookstore. The size, the look and feel, the books, the non-books, the refreshments . . .

Thanks for coming back this week despite my inconsistency. Your readership inspires me!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Katie! Congratulations on the potential house sell! I have been thinking about you because I just learned Albuquerque has two independent bookstores that have survived alongside a large university bookstore and chain bookstores like Borders and Barnes & Noble. One of these independet bookstores is Bookworks and I've attached a link below of an interview with the owner and founder. She discusses bookstore culture and the importance of independent bookstores in Albuqeurque. I hope it gives you some insight and helps you develop your ideas!
    Maybe I can stop by this weekend to check it out and talk to her if she's there...spread your story in Albuquerque!

    http://paperbackdreams.com/index.php/bookstores/bookworks

    Wishing you the best, Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Caro--for the congrats, the thoughts, for reading the blog, and for the link to that interview. I loved it! Totally gave me goosebumps. You can bet a post about it is coming soon. I would LOVE it if you could stop by and chat with her! Let me know if you do! I may send her an e-mail myself. Again, thanks for being a part of this. :) Hope you're doing great, and looking forward to your next comment!

    ReplyDelete