Tuesday, February 9, 2010

On the Sidelines


What makes a bookstore successful in (a) an economy that is forcing people to buy only what they need, coupled with (b) a changing marketplace where readers with an Internet collection don't have to leave their couches to order books? Is the brick-and-mortar bookstore coughing its last eloquent breath?

This is a question on many booksellers' minds these days, and it is echoed by the publishing industry and, of course, writers and readers. Some argue that younger generations, especially, are reading less, and the ones who still do are being technologically seduced by the likes of the Kindle and iPad. Others argue that the traditional bookstore will never die, because the process of browsing and selecting books is tactile and personal. As Vivian Guzman recently commented on my Facebook wall, "We reeeally need a bookstore [in Laredo]. Browsing and ordering books online isn't the same!"

So let's get business-minded. How do the profitable bookstores in America--independent bookstores, in particular--stay profitable amid the challenges of a changing industry?

A former professor of mine, Dr. Michael Saenger, also commented on my wall. He said, "Personally, I think the key to bookstore viability these days is to have some way that the bookstore can make money that's complementary to selling books, without feeling like it's contrary to selling books. I bet Barnes and Noble makes more money from the gift item selection than they do from the book area. And they often have a kid's play area, with toys for sale. I don't think the 'book store' is dead, I just think the 'only a book store' is dying."

According to my research, Dr. Saenger is right: Sidelines, or the non-book items sold in bookstores, contribute up to 30% of bookstores' profitability. That's because, unlike books, which have a set retail price, it's up to the bookseller by what margin to mark up non-book items. Makes sense, but this was still surprising to me; I don't think I've ever bought a sideline at a bookstore. At least, not for a long time.

How about you all? What non-book items grab your attention--and make you reach for your wallets--at bookstores? What complementary items would you like to see bookstores sell?

Thanks, Vivian and Dr. Saenger, for your comments!

4 comments:

  1. Katie, congratulations on getting this started! I am wishing you the very best!
    I do buy some non-book items at bookstores. Every once in while I buy a journal, but some of the things I buy throughout the year are stationery sets and cute "thank you" notes. I can never find any of these in Laredo and usually end up at Target. Last week I even bought a door mat at Borders (I'll have to show you a picture one day because it's a really nice one!). Book stores also have more greeting cards to choose from and you can always find original and artistic ones that seem to be more special than the ones you find at grocery stores. I live across from Borders and sometimes I even go buy chocolates and coffee there because it's nicer to walk into a bookstore than a grocery store! Keep posting and I'll keep reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Caro! Thanks so much for your comments/feedback. I had no idea Borders sells doormats, so that's great to know. But I completely agree with you about the cards, chocolate, and coffee. Bookstores, especially independent ones, usually have a more unique and special selection than do other retailers. I'll keep posting, hope you keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a coffee shop! We go to Borders a lot because they have a great coffee shop and tables & chairs in the kids section there for my kids to sit and browse through books. My husband and I grab a cup of coffee and take the kids over to read books for a couple of hours. If I'm lucky enough, I go to my favorite section, grab a few books from there and flip through the pages while the kids browse their favorite books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Completely agree with you, Marie. Got my cup of coffee next to me right now! I envision the bookstore as having a cafe, locally baked pastries, and a couple types of wine. There's nothing like being able to relax and read and, if you have kids, have an engaging place to take them that you can also enjoy.

    ReplyDelete